Faux freckles are one of 2016’s breakout beauty trends. Grown-up curls, an all-time classic.
Bring them together, and you’ve and an ultra-modern look to try this week. Ahead, one of our own – editor & founder of GrittyPretty.com, tries out the trend. We hope you do, too!
- For a luminous complexion, Uzo mixed two moisturisers in equal parts – the richer NARS Luminous Moisture Cream and the lighter NARS Aqua Gel Luminous Oil Free Moisturiser.
- Then, she primed. She tells us she swears by NARS Pro Prime Pore-Refining Primer because it was formulated by Shiseido for NARS: “It has natural botanical extracts the soothe redness and perfect skin for flawless makeup application,” she enthuses.
- For even more luminosity, cheeks were illuminated with a cream/liquid highlighter. Try: BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal.
- Fora daytime smokey eye, “we used a little bit of a shimmer shadow,” she describes, “in a champagne colour called Himalia“. Also try: Urban Decay Naked Smokey Eyeshadow Palette in High.
- Black liner was used on the inner rim of the eye, especially on the upper lash line to make eye look defined without “closing them down,” according to Uzo. “Then we curled the lashes and put on a couple of coats of mascara,” she adds.
- On the lips, we layered on a pink-toned, nude liquid lipstick.
- Last, we played with the freckle trend. On set, we used an eyebrow defining cream with a thin, pointed brush instead of an eyeliner or pencil to get more softness and make the freckles look faded in.
BEAUTY NOTE: For a daytime smokey eye, Uzo uses a light shimmer shadow first, then takes a matte brown shadow and smudges it over the top. For a night time smokey eye, she does the reverse. A darker matte eyeshadow base, then shimmer on top.
“I’m going to keep the curls at the front the same, but at the back I’m going to alternate – some bigger, some smaller; the key is to experiment. There’s no rights or wrongs, really,” says Carroll matter-of-factly. She continues: “The more you experiment, the more you learn what you like. You could follow exactly what I’ve said today but that might not work for your hair. What I like to do is to encourage experimentation and practice. Practice makes perfect.” Hear, hear.
Carroll used Cloud Nine The Wand.
Want to try more makeup looks? Check out our ’90s-inspired beauty look here.