Want naturally glowing skin? Well, we have the answer for you – yoga.
“Yoga gives you a healthy mind and body and in turn makes your skin glow,” says Sydney-based yoga instructor, Gabriella Danswan. “Together with a healthy mind and diet, yoga can naturally produce glowing skin making one look younger, healthier and more beautiful.”
5 YOGA TIPS FOR GLOWING SKIN
1. “Asanas (which are yoga postures) help increase blood circulation and reduce toxins in the body,” says Danswan. Some examples of asanas that focus on the head and face are cobra pose, fish pose, plow pose, shoulder stand, triangle pose, and child pose. “All inverted postures and forward bends increase blood supply to the head, which helps your skin glow.”
2. For some women, acne usually gets more problematic in summer, especially with women who have an oily skin. Cooling pranayamas or breathing exercises such as sheetali and sheetkari (sometimes referred to as’ hissing breath’) can provide a cooling effect thus helping skin to retain its glow. To do this, place your tongue at the back of the palette, keep your lips open, inhale through your teeth and exhale through your nose. Repeat.
3. To improve the digestive process, try doing kneeling pose, bow pose and alternate nostral breathing on an empty stomach. Kapal Bhati, an effective detoxifying technique, is aptly named so as ‘kapal’ means forehead and ‘bhati’ means glowing. Through forceful exhalation in this process, detoxification happens, and the first effect of which shows is in the form of naturally glowing skin. To naturally remove toxins from the system, try doing quick rounds of sun salutation sequence – it will raise your body temperature and make you perspire, which is fantastic for the body and skin.
4. Meditate twice a day, every day (even if it’s just for 10 minutes). “The more you do, the more you will radiate from within,” says Danswan.
5. Practice regular facial yoga exercises – 20 minutes every day at home will see fast results. It will help tighten the facial muscles. Try massaging your jaws to reduce stress, massaging your eyebrows for a dose of instant relaxation and perform the ‘kiss and smile technique’ (push out your lips as though to kiss a baby and then smile as broadly as you can) to keep the mouth and cheek area looking plump.